One of the most common business models is retailing. Retailing has been an age old business model used for many ages. It is often associated with the idea of “purchasing and supplying” or “buying and supplying” to target customers. In the Agrarian Age where there was no technology, retail businesses boomed. You have to walk to a retail shop to make an inquiry or buy a product. There were no phones, no internet and no stable communication devices to reach the retail shops. But in the Digital Age, things have changed! Not only has the retail industry been flooded with a lot of competing retailers, digital technology has also transformed the way retailing is done today. But it is rather unfortunate that many retail businesses are still adamant to the digital revolution in the retail industry!
Five Groups of Retail BusinessesLet’s first start by clarifying the retailing business. Basically, retail businesses can be classified into five groups:
- Grocery Stores
- Convenient Stores
- Specialty Stores
- General Merchandise Stores
- Non-Retail Stores
Get Brilliant with the BasicsDigital marketing is not a magic bullet. Social media, email, website, mobile, WhatsApp and all those stuff are not magic bullets to transform your retail business. To succeed in every business, including retail you have to be brilliant with the basics of marketing. To use digital marketing to promote your retail business, you have to do your homework! You have to do your homework! There are two basics you must get brilliant with:
- Target Marketing
- Brand Positioning
Identify Your Ideal Target MarketMarketing is all about customers. It must start and end with your customers. And if you don’t have a clear buyer persona for your retail business, you will struggle to use digital marketing to promote your retail business. Your retailing business is already attracting some people to it. You have to conduct a market survey to find out who your customers are really. Then and then can digital marketing supports your retail business. To start with, here are 12 questions you should ask to identify your ideal target customers.
- What kind of work do they do?
- What makes them buy from you rather than others?
- What is their social and financial status?
- Where do they live?
- Where do they hang around online?
- Which social media platforms do they like?
- Where do they hangout around on internet?
- Which brands/companies do they buying from?
- Who do they listen to when making buying decisions related to your products?
- How do they look for products related to your nitch?
- What are the things your customer likes?
- What are the things that your customer dislikes?
Position Your Brand to Attract Your Target MarketYour brand is neither your logo nor the nice designs. It is much more than that. Your brand is actually the reputation of your business in the market place. Your brand is how your target customer views, thinks and perceives your business. You build your brand based on three things:
- Your Core Purpose
- Your Core Values
- Specific Benefits
7 Digital Marketing Tactics to Promote Your BusinessOnly after you have done your homework should you think about how to use digital marketing to promote your retail business. Your plan will not work if you have not done your homework. Your digital marketing tactics must be focused on your target market and your brand positioning. Well, so here are 7 ways to use digital marketing to promote your retail business—either you are a grocery, specialty, general merchandise, convenient or a non-store retailing shop. Visit Our Online Store & Try Our Result-Driven Digital Marketing Packages.
- Start With Your Local Search Marketing Campaign
- Start Creating Content for Your Retail Business
- Customer testimonials
- Retails industry news
- Retail infographics/photos
- Tips and advice
- Keep in Touch & Engage Your Retail Customers
- Use Social Media to Drive Traffic to Your Retail Store
- Promote a context on social media for a prize and let people register for free at your local store.
- Plan exclusive events at your retail store and launch the campaign on social media.
- Promote limited and only available items on social media.
- Promote coupons on social media and let people register to take their coupons at the store.
- Promote a free gift for shopping at your store and advertise it on social media.
- Promote a referral program and give out gifts for customers to refer people to your store.
- Use Social Media Messaging Platforms for Customer Support
- Join Local Business Groups And Network with Strategic Partners
- Develop an& Delivery Local System
- You can use your Facebook Page to process orders
- You can set up an order processing page on your website
- You can set up an online store on your website
- You can use WhatsApp to process orders
- You can build an app for your retail business
- You can use email marketing to process orders